In the Kitchen
Fall is approaching , and there’s nothing I love more during this season than comfort foods. I’m talking about soups , chili’s , hot cocoa , cheesy and creamy , roasty and toasty goodness.
I wrote down my top 3 favorite Fall breakfasts, lunches , dinners , desserts and alcoholic drinks , and had my mom pick one of each to share with you.
First breakfast , Hong Kong style French Toast , sounds fancy doesn’t it. It’s super quick and easy.
• roasty and toasty
• 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
• thick slices white bread
• Sunflower oil
• 4 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
• Maple syrup
• condensed milk
1 Spread peanut butter on one side of all the bread slices. Sandwich slices of bread , like you’re making a PB&J. Make as many as you like.
2. Heat 2cm of oil in a heavy frypan over medium heat. Whisk eggs and vanilla paste in a bowl. Soak sandwiches in the egg mixture until the bread is throughly coated.
1 In batches, cook egg-soaked sandwiches for 4 minutes each side or until golden.
4. Drain on paper towel. Repeat.
Slice the French toast into triangles, then serve stacked and drizzled with maple syrup and condensed milk.
I also add a hint of nutmeg or pumpkin spice.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
• rich , cheesy and creamy
• 4 slices bacon, diced
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 3 1/2 cups milk , add more as needed
• 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• As much sour cream as your heart desires
• Kosher salt
• black pepper, to taste
1 Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a separate plate.
2 Melt butter then whisk in flour until lightly browned. Whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened.
3 Stir in potatoes and green onions.
4 Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper.
5 Add additional toppings , and sour cream: definitely sour cream!
Fajita Shrimp and Grits
• Savory and comforting
• 1lb uncooked shrimp , peeled and deveined
• 2tbs fajita seasoning mix
• 1 cup quick-cooking grits
• 4 cups boiling water
• 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
• 3tbs 2% milk
• 2 tbs canola oil
• 3 sweet peppers(seeded and cut into strips)
• 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch strips
• 1 jar of chunky medium salsa
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1/4 cup plus 1tbs fresh cilantro leaves
1 Coat shrimp with fajita seasoning and set aside.
2 Slowly stir grits into boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and cover , stirring occasionally, until the grits have thickened. Remove from heat. Toss in the cheese and stir in milk.
3 In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add salsa, orange juice and shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink
4 Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Remove from heat.
Spoon grits into serving bowls; top with shrimp mixture. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
Chewy Ginger Bread Cookies
• that sweet pow
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 large egg, room temperature
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp salt
1 In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one whole egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
2 Gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
3 Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4 Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 or until they become puffy and lightly browned.
Last we have one or my favorite Fall alcoholic drinks.
This drink is sweet and spicy , perfect for those fall and winter nights.
🍁 Pumpkin Pie Moscow Mule 🍺
• 1.5 oz vanilla vodka
• 1 generous tablespoon pumpkin butter
• 1/2 lime
• 4 oz ginger beer
• Cinnamon stick for garnish
1 Add vanilla vodka , pumpkin butter and lime juice to a shaker with ice. Shake until butter is fully incorporated.
2 Strain into your favorite cup with ice.
3 Top with ginger beer and garnish with the cinnamon stick.