Let’s Grab a Bowl
Healthy one bowl meals with twice the flavor. These easy bowls recipes are some of my favorites during my weight loss journey. With mainly just prep work I’m sure you’ll enjoy them as much as I do.
Pho ( use any protein of your choice)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• ginger peeled and cut into large pieces
• 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 1 stick lemongrass broken into large pieces (optional)
• 4 cups chicken stock or broth ( I use broth )
• 1 star anise
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 cup fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 5 ounces rice noodles
• 1 cup bean sprouts
• 4 scallions sliced
• ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves picked off
• 1 jalapeño pepper thinly sliced
• Fresh mint leaves
• Fresh Thai basil leaves
• 2 limes sliced
1 Heat stove to medium high head. Add the onions and ginger ,sauté for 4-5 minutes until it begins to caramelize. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, lemongrass, star anise, garlic, chicken thighs, cilantro, coriander seeds and peppercorn. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Lid on
2 Cook your protein. Season with salt and pepper. I keep my protein lightly seasoned with Pho.
• Turn the heat to medium high and bring the broth to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until done. Add your protein.
• Top it off with the bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro, sliced jalapeño, mint, basil and lime juice. And if you’re like me more bean sprouts.
Burrito Bowls ( Wendi’s Way )
What’s great about a burrito bowel is that it’s customizable.
During my health journey I would substitute the rice for cauliflower rice or quinoa or just omit them all.
Proteins : ground turkey , shrimp , or chicken
• 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon olive oil/ avocado oil
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
Juice from one lime
1 cup rice (optional )
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2cups finely chopped romaine lettuce hearts
Half cup of Mexican blend cheese
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup pico de gallo
• sour cream
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 lb ground turkey ( optional )
• Chipotle sauce
1 Brown your meat , be sure to drain.
2 Prepare your beans , while beans are cooking assemble your prep station.
3 Add all ingredients to your bowl
4 Add several dabs of sour cream to top it off.